Job Opening: Organizing Director
Great Education Colorado is currently hiring for a Organizing Director. Priority given to applications received by Sunday, November 15th, 2020. Start date in early January 2021. We will be accepting cover letters and resumes at firstname.lastname@example.org
POSITION: Organizing Director
JOB LOCATION: Denver Metro
JOB CATEGORY: Organizing, Advocacy
TYPE OF JOB: Full-time, flexible in and out of office work environment (currently remote due to COVID)
COMPENSATION: $45,000 – $62,000 dependent on experience
Great Education Colorado drives educational excellence for all Colorado students by harnessing the power of grassroots activism and diverse, inclusive coalitions to stimulate adequate and equitable investment in all Colorado public schools, students, and teachers. Our vision is one where all Colorado children — regardless of where they live, how they learn, or the color of their skin — graduate prepared to lead their best lives. Great Education Colorado currently seeks candidates to direct organizing activities for this impactful, statewide organization.
AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY:
The Organizing Director oversees outreach efforts on the local, district and statewide level. Trainings, coalition building, ballot measure efforts, the organizing of advocates, and legislative session advocacy are all managed by this position. Job responsibilities and tasks include, but may not be limited to:
- Creating and implementing grassroots organizing and political strategies for electoral campaigns each year (i.e. organizing advocates to work on ballot measures
- Supporting work at the legislature by organizing advocates when needed
- Building statewide, grassroots power through community organizing on the local and state level
- Educating advocates on issues of education funding in Colorado and training them on how to message and speak about issues in diverse scenarios (i.e. in their community, at the legislature, etc.)
- Working with advocates and legislators to push forward legislation that will promote sustainable, adequate and equitable education funding in Colorado
- Planning organizing events, including an annual Action Summit, to attract new and engage current advocates across the state
- Tracking and analyzing legislation and political movement during the legislative session to determine which legislation requires action
- Working with the Great Ed board (specifically the board Policy Committee) to inform and gain approval on policy, legislative and outreach efforts
- Organizing and facilitating monthly coalition meetings of the Great Schools, Thriving Communities coalition to strengthen political asks for public education funding
- Building and maintaining strong partner relationships with other equity, education and funding focused organizations
- Creating and promoting online and in-person field actions for advocates during the legislative session and key ballot initiatives (canvassing, phone banking, texting, emailing/tweeting legislators, etc.)
- Working with the Communications Director to write and create content in the form of email blasts, social media, etc. to mobilize and activate to advocates
- Completing any other organizational tasks that may arise in the areas of outreach, policy and advocacy
- Co-managing the Public Affairs & Communications Coordinator with the Communications Director
- Committed to education equity and Great Education Colorado’s mission
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate with diverse individuals & organizations
- Self-directed and comfortable in flexible working environments
- Proven project management skills
- Experience managing political campaigns (candidate, proposition, or amendment)
- Excellent coalition facilitation skills
- 3 – 5 years direct experience in Organizing or Advocacy field
- Creative with excellent writing skills
- Deep knowledge of Colorado education funding issues, i.e. TABOR and Gallagher
- Experience with advocacy tools such as MyActionCenter in New/Mode, Spoke, and Salsa Engage
- Fluent in Spanish
HOW TO APPLY:
Great Education Colorado is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age, or veteran status.
Additionally, we believe that passion and talent are not exclusively measured by degree status or professional experience. If you feel compelled to pursue this role and believe you will advance our mission, we encourage you to apply.
Please send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
Priority given to applications received by Sunday, November 15th, 2020. Start date in early January 2021.
- S Prev