How to Engage with Your Legislator
- Find your state legislators here.
- Send an email to your representatives. Legislator email addresses can be found here.
- Mail a letter to your legislator: Colorado State Capitol, 200 E. Colfax, Denver CO 80203
- Call your legislator. Contact info here.
- Attend a town hall, coffee, community event or advocacy day at the Capitol with your elected official(s).
- Visit the Capitol with a Great Ed staff member - invite your legislator out of session for a brief chat.
- Schedule a time to meet with your legislator in your community.
- Invite education supporters from your community to join you in engaging with your elected officials.
What to Say Use your own words; make it specific to your school or your district
- Tell them you consider the budget a moral document; that you expect education to receive its fair share – which is more than just keeping up with inflation. Now that the state budget is recovering, our kids should recover commensurate with the budget.
- Explain how years of budget cuts to school districts have impacted your kids and/or your school. Express your desire to restore the cuts and impress upon them
- Let them know that you’ll check in periodically to see how things are progressing.
- Ask if there’s anything you can do to help.
- Thank them for serving the students of Colorado and for representing your interests.